Chai Spiced Protein Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked or canned (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsps rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, sea, fine
- 6 tbsps coconut nectar, or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp Chai Tea Masala, spice mix
- coconut oil, or other neutral oil to spread on tops
- anise seeds, (optional, not recommended for eating)
- icing, Refined-sugar-free (recipe below)
Refined Sugar Free Icing
- 3 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsps coconut nectar, or maple syrup or dark agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor and process on high until a smooth batter forms.
- Scoop about a tablespoon onto the baking sheet and continue with all the batter.
- Press the tops down and smooth to form a cookie shape. (I dipped my finger tips in melted coconut oil and smoothed the tops down. This way your fingers won’t stick to the batter).
- Press the Anise seeds into the centre if desired.
- Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes until edges darken slightly.
- Once baked, transfer onto a cooling rack and allow the cookies to fully cool. Even overnight.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Whisk the oil with the sweetener until completely blended and super smooth.
- Drizzle on top of cookies.
- The icing will slightly harden and appear whiter if cookies are stored in the refrigerator.