Caribbean Cold Lentil Salad
- 1 cup lentils, brown, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 8 oz can pineapple, tidbits; drained, but keep the juice. (About 2/3 cup packed tidbits.)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, red, minced
- 1 tsp salt, sea
- 1/2 cup coconut, chips
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice, (from the can of tidbits)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce, reduced-sodium (GF if needed)
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, roughly chopped, to desired spiciness
- 1 1/4 tsp lime juice, fresh
- 3/4 tsp ginger, fresh; minced
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 3/4 tsp allspice, ground
- 3/8 tsp thyme, ground
- 3/8 tsp cinnamon, ground
- Rinse the lentils and stir together the water and lentils in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain well and add into a large bowl.
- Add all the other salad ingredients, except the coconut chips, into the bowl and stir to combine.
- In a SMALL food processor (mine is 3 cups) process all of the dressing ingredients until the jalapeno is broken down and the dressing is smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Pour the dressing over the lentils and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours up to overnight so the lentils can absorb the dressing and develop flavor.
- When ready to serve, stir in the coconut chips and DEVOUR!