Black Bean & Quinoa Taco Salad
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 2 cups water, filtered
- 2 heads lettuce, butter
- 1 can black beans
- 1 bell pepper, red
- 1 large tomatoes, red
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 bunch cilantro, (about 1 cup loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pepper, freshly cracked, to taste
- avocado, slices, optional
- hemp hearts, optional
- salsa, optional
- hot sauce, optional
- Place the quinoa and filtered water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to low. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed. Allow to completely cool before adding to the salad.
- Remove the lettuce from the roots, and rinse thoroughly. Spin to dry, or pat with clean kitchen cloths. Place in a large serving bowl, and set in the refrigerator while you wait for quinoa to cook. (Alternatively, cook and cool the quinoa ahead of time and prepare the salad now.)
- Rinse & drain the black beans. Set aside.
- Dice the bell peppers and tomato and shred the cilantro.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, sea salt, and black pepper. Set aside until you’re ready to dress the salad.
- Once the quinoa is cool, sprinkle it over the lettuce, and top with black beans, peppers, tomato, corn, and cilantro. Drizzle with dressing, and lightly toss to coat. Top with remaining toppings, if using. Serve immediately!