Black Bean and Avocado Quesadillas
- cooking spray
- 2 tortillas, burrito-size; whole wheat flour or gluten-free
- 1/2 avocado, ripe; mashed
- 1 cup black beans, cooked, seasoned (drained well)
- 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese, shredded
- salsa, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- Spray a large skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Add in one of the tortillas.
- Spread the avocado evenly over the tortilla, top with the black beans and the cheese. Add in the remaining tortilla on top and press down to seal.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the underside of the tortilla begins to brown. Carefully flip the quesadilla, and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until heated through and brown on the underside.
- Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes, then slice into eight wedges. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
If you don’t have time to make your seasoned black beans from scratch, you can also buy them from a can in the grocery store. Check out the brands in the international foods aisles for the best flavor.