A Big Green Cobbler with Leeks, Gruyere, and Split Peas
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped, whites separated from the greens
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or chicken
- 1/4 cup cream, heavy
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup split peas, dried; cooked according to the package directions
- 1 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose; plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium high heat and add the leeks, zucchini, a pinch of salt, and a few turns of pepper and cook, stirring, until the leeks are soft and translucent, 7-10 minutes. add the whites of the scallions and the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. stir in the flour and cook for another minute, and then add about half of the broth. cook, stirring, until the broth has thickened, and then add the other half of the broth and then cook until thickened. stir in the cream and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted. stir in the cheese, the peas, and all but a handful of the scallion greens and then reduce the heat to low. let it simmer, stirring occasionally, while you make the biscuits.
- To make the biscuits, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. add the butter and, using a food processor or pastry cutter or your hands, incorporate the butter until the mixture is the consistency of oatmeal. fold in the remaining handful of scallion greens and then mix in the buttermilk until the mixture comes together to form a dough. turn it out onto a floured work surface, pat it out to 1/2” thick and then cut out round biscuits, re-rolling scraps as needed.
- Pour the green mixture into an oven-safe vessel such as a casserole dish or cast iron pan or dutch oven and then top it with the biscuits. brush the biscuits with the beaten egg and top with black pepper. bake until the biscuits are golden brown, begin checking for doneness at 25 minutes. enjoy!