Beet Chickpea Cakes with Dill Yogurt Sauce
Beet Chickpea Cakes
- 3 1/4 cup chickpeas, dried; or 2 15 oz cans
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onion, red; diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 medium beets, red; trimmed, peeled and shredded
- 1 eggs
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup dill
- pepper, freshly ground
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup dill
- 3/4 cup yogurt, Greek
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- pepper, freshly ground
- salt, flaky sea
How to cook chickpeas
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow to soak overnight. After 24 hours, drain the water and rinse the chickpeas. Place chickpeas in a large pot and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Let cook for 45 minutes. At this point start checking for doneness. This can happen anywhere between 45 minutes to 90 minutes. Once they are fully cooked drain in a colander and allow to cool.
- Mix together all of the ingredients, and taste. Place in the refrigerator while you cook the beet chickpea cakes to let the flavors intensify.
To Prepare Beet Chickpea Cakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Once the cooked chickpeas have fully cooled, begin smashing them into a paste in a large bowl, leaving some chunks. Once the chickpeas are mashed, mix in 1 egg and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the garlic and salt, and cook for another minute.
- Add in grated beets and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the beets are cooked. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and remove the skillet from the heat. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the beet mixture to the chickpea egg mixture, tossing in the dill and fully incorporate.
- Wipe out the cast iron skillet with a paper towel and place back on the stove, set at medium-high.
- Begin forming cakes using a 1/3 cup to measure. Simply scoop in the measuring cup and form cakes with your hands.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Once hot, place 2-4 cakes into the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden. Make sure to not overcrowd the cakes in the skillet. When the cakes are golden on both sides, transfer them to a baking sheet that has been greased with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Continue browning the cakes. Once all beet chickpea cakes have been browned on both sides, transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes until the cakes are formed.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Serve with dill yogurt. Note – to make these heartier, you can add in 1/2 cup cooked quinoa before cooking.