Baked Curry Lentil Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
The Lentil Cakes:
- 1 cup lentils, red
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 5 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup rice, brown, cooked
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs, whole wheat
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 2 large roasted red peppers, roughly chopped (4 halves)
- 3/4 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, yellow; chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
The lentil cakes:
- Rinse the red lentils and pick out any debris.
- Place the lentils and 2 whole, peeled garlic cloves in a medium saucepan and stir in the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and discard the garlic cloves.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Transfer 1 ¾ cups of the lentils to the bowl of a food processor. Use the remaining lentils for another purpose.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until light golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Chop the remaining 3 garlic cloves and add to the skillet, along with the curry powder and paprika. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the food processor, along with the brown rice, salt and pepper.
- Pulse until the mixture is combined, but not pureed.
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a bowl, and stir in the breadcrumbs, lemon juice and cilantro.
- Using about ¼ cup per patty, form the lentil mixture into ½-inch thick round patties.
- Place a baking sheet in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Remove, coat with cooking spray and transfer the lentil patties to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the lentil cakes are browning on the bottom. Flip and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Serve the lentil cakes with the sauce, and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- Place the roasted red peppers in the bowl of a food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a small nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, paprika and curry powder, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the food processor, along with the vegetable broth, salt and pepper.
- Puree until the sauce is smooth.