Asian Lentil Lettuce Wraps
- 1 cup lentils, red, picked over and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup bell pepper, red; chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, yellow; finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, matchsticks
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, fresh; peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- 1 head lettuce, iceberg or butter lettuce, leaves separated, rinsed and dried
- Simmer lentils in unsalted water according to package directions until just tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in bell pepper and onion and saute until softened, about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add in carrots, garlic and ginger and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add in drained lentils, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and water chestnuts, cook while tossing, 1 minute (thin as needed with a few tablespoons of water. The lentils will absorb some of the sauce as the mixtures rests so you can thin with a little water as desired).
- Toss in walnuts, sprinkle with green onions, cilantro and optional sesame seeds. Serve filling warm in lettuce leaves.