Apple PB Cake
- 1 cup split peas, yellow, puréed; (1/2 cup dry)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, brown; firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsps cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 3⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1⁄2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, dry-roasted, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup currants, or raisins
- 1 cup apple, Golden Delicious; peeled and chopped
- *Preparing split pea purée: Add 2 ½ times the amount of water as split peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir frequently. Cool slightly and do not drain. In small batches, mash or pureè split peas with a sieve, food mill, blender, food processor or potato masher. Purée should be the consistency of canned pumpkin. Add water to thin if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat purée, peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar until blended. Beat in eggs and egg white. Stir in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flours.
- Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture along with peanuts, currants and apple. Mix well.
- Turn into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake until a knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cake cool before cutting into squares. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.