5 Spice Yam Yellow Split Pea Soup
- 2 medium yam, peeled and cut in 1" cubes (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, chopped
- 1 small onion, sweet; chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups split peas, yellow, dried
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup peanuts, Spanish; chopped, as garnish
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, as garnish
- 1/4 cup Thai basil, as garnish
- 2 tbsp curry powder, Madras yellow
- 2 tbsp cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp chili powder, chipotle; or smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp salt, kosher
- 1 tbsp cilantro, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 375. In a bowl add the spice mix and 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Add the yams.
- Toss the bowl so yams coat evenly.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the yams so they are spaced and can roast throughout.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until yams are soft and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add the carrot, parsnip, and onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add 3 cups of the water and the peas and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover. Simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour, or when peas are tender.
- Add 3 more cups of the water and stir. You will notice mixture is beginning to thicken. Cover.
- Add the cooked yams to the pot with the peas.
- You may have to add the last 2 cups of water so that the soup is creamy. Cover until the peas are cooked.
- Puree with an immersion blender.
- Finish the soup with the coconut milk. Stir and allow the soup to warm up.
- Portion in 4 bowls and top with peanuts and herbs.