For 4 Person(s)
- 1 lb Black Eye Peas, soaked overnight
- 1 qt water + more
- salt and freshly grated black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 lb plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (1-inch)
- Gently boil the Black Eye Peas in the water for 30 minutes.
- Add the salt towards the end of cooking time. Strain and set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium-low heat the oil and saute the onions until softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and allow reducing, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato cubes and enough water to cover.
- Simmer until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Season and add cooked Black Eye peas.
- Taste, adjust seasoning and allow to simmer 10 more minutes before serving.