Winter Vegetable Soup with Swiss Chard, Lentils, and Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrot, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 chard, Swiss or rainbow; colorful stems removed and chopped, and leaves roughly chopped, divided
- 1 cup squash, butternut, cubes
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/2 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/2 tsp salt, sea
- 1/2 tsp pepper, black
- 1/2 cup lentils, green
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes, diced, with juice
- 15 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth, organic
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved; for serving (omit if vegan)
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5-8 minutes, or until softened. Add swiss chard stems, butternut squash cubes, dried herbs, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat in oil and spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients (except for swiss chard leaves and parmesan cheese) to pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender and lentils are cooked.
- Stir in swiss chard leaves and cook until just wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!