This soup is one of our long-standing family favourites. It’s very easy to make and makes enough to feed 6-8 people. It also freezes very well.
Jaine Chisholm Caunt, Director General of the Grain and Feed Trade Association (GAFTA)
For 4 Person(s)
1. Soak the mung beans for at least 6 hours in enough cold water to cover them. Drain when ready to use.
2. Fry the onion gently in the olive oil in a large saucepan for 3 minutes and then add the diced carrot, leek and celery. Fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
3. Put all of the other ingredients into the saucepan and bring to the boil.
4. Turn down and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Allow the soup to cool for about 10 minutes and then check the seasoning. You may wish to add another half a stock cube at this point.
6. Serve with warm crusty bread and cheese.